The City of Ballarat commissioned the Western Oval Recreation Reserve Facilities Plan to consider the needs of current and possible future users, whilst protecting the character of the reserve and enhancing its sporting, social, environmental and heritage values. The approach for this Facilities Plan has included a thorough background and site analysis, stakeholder engagement process, and the development of design principles to:
- Address the needs of the existing user groups;
- Enhance the functionality of the reserve;
- Encourage and support participation in sport and recreation;
- Increase the aesthetic appeal of the reserve;
- Maximise resource efficiencies;
- Promote accessibility and universal design.