In recent years Victoria Park has been subject to increasing and often competing infrastructure development challenges and opportunities including:
- Preserving and enhancing the Parks historical plantings, landscape character, native grasslands and environmental and historical values.
- Addressing increasing traffic issues and flooding issues throughout the Park.
- Existing user group and stakeholder desires for improved ovals, upgraded or new clubrooms, lighting, improved road surfaces and car parking.
- Community desires for improved access, connections, passive leisure opportunities and improved amenity and safety.
- The need for a venue for a major events facility within the Ballarat region.
- Community demand for new and improved facilities for shared and multi -functional use to cater to Ballarat’s growing population.
Several documents have been prepared to help to guide the future of Victoria Park including the ‘Victoria Park Vision’ which was developed in 2012 following an extensive community and stakeholder consultation process.
In April 2015 the City of Ballarat commenced the process of preparing a Master Plan for Victoria Park. The Master Plan is aimed at consolidating the development challenges and opportunities and the community Vision into an overall plan to guide the future planning, design and development of Victoria Park, and the priorities for implementation.
October 2015 - Final Draft Master Plan
- Increased tree planting, enlarged native grassland areas and improved vegetation management.
- Increased events capacity with an open lawn events space in the south-west corner.
- Improved recreation facilities including: clubrooms with publicly accessible toilets, oval resurfacing, criterium course upgrades, and equestrian precinct improvements.
- Improved parkland amenity and leisure facilities including: dog off leash areas, playgrounds, BBQ’s, seating, drinking fountains, and wayfinding and interpretive signage.
- Additional and improved walking paths and pedestrian and cycling access and connections.
- Improved entrances, traffic management, vehicle control and car parking.
- Additional and improved water bodies and drainage works to reduce flooding, increase park amenity and provide opportunities for stormwater harvesting for irrigation.
City of Ballarat,
PO Box 655,
Ballarat, Victoria, 3353